Mediation is a confidential and voluntary process. It provides parties an informal opportunity to resolve or learn how to effectively manage their disputes. Mediations are scheduled at a time that is favorable for both parties. The cost of mediation can range depending on the scope of the conflict. A neutral third party, known as a mediator, helps facilitate the conversation and assists the parties in coming to an agreement.
Mediation works because it…
- Encourages parties to collaborate and find common ground.
- Acknowledges and responds to both the objective and subjective factors of a dispute.
- Focuses on the underlying interests of the parties.
- Focuses on both the future and the past.
- Equalizes power differentials.
- Facilitates creative solutions and agreements acceptable by all parties.
- Places the responsibility on the parties to decide the outcome
If you are interested in mediation, please complete the case information form, or contact our office at 805-384-1313 .