Small Claims Court Program
As a party involved in a litigated dispute at the Superior Court of California, County of Ventura, it is important that you are aware of the option to use mediation to help you resolve your case. Ventura County Superior Courts encourage litigants and to use our mediators as an alternative to resolve their differences.
Mediation is an informal, flexible process that enables each party to identify and pursue their own interests. With the assistance of a qualified mediator, parties keep themselves at the center of the decision-making process and have power over the outcome. It is a collaborative effort, searching out a solution that is acceptable to all parties.
Additional benefits of mediation include,
- It’s Fast. When the parties agree, mediation can often be scheduled within a few days.
- It’s Private. Everything disclosed during mediation is confidential unless the parties agree otherwise. Parties cannot use mediation for fact-finding, which allows for good-faith discussions.
- It’s Fair. The mediator does not take sides or tell you what to do. If a settlement offer seems unfair, you can negotiate or just say “no.”
- It’s Smart. Mediation works. It saves time and money and it is usually a lot less stressful.
Mediation gives you the power to decide the outcome of your case. And if your mediation doesn’t end in agreement, you can still take the case to court for a judge to decide.
If you have a small claim court case and would like to use mediation, please open a case with our office. Mediators are also available on site at the courthouse during the following times:
- Ventura Court, Room 22 – Thursdays from 8:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
- Simi Valley Court, Room S1 – Mondays from 8:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
If you are interested in Small Claims Court Mediation, please complete the case information form, or contact our office at 805-384-1313.